23 December, 2019

(updated) I Am Eligible for a General Class Amateur Radio License

This should be a quick one, possibly with an update after the initial post.

This past Monday evening, 16-Dec-2019, I went to T-S-K Electronics in North Tonawanda, NY, and took the tests for FCC Technician Class, then General Class, Amateur Radio license.  Unfortunately, the Volunteer Examiners (VEs) are not permitted to show you which questions were answered wrong, but they will tell you how many you missed (2 for Tech, 5 for General in my case).  When talking about license grants, my Technician course instructor (Kevin Kedzierski, WA2FKV) said the VEs will send out the documents that night, and should start to be processed by the Postal Service on Tuesday.  Kevin's prediction was that I would have my call sign by Friday (20-Dec).  Well...not to be; although I have proven my authorization to operate, it's not official until a call sign shows up on the FCC's licensing site.  (That's actually one of the questions in the Technician Class question pool, how soon after passing your exams are you allowed to get on the air, and the (correct) answer is, when your license grant appears in the ULS database.)

Before someone takes the test(s), they may create an FCC Registration Number (FRN), in lieu of using one's Social Security Number (which I have done).  It is that account which you may log into to download a PDF of your license for printing.  I've been logging in virtually all week just to see if perchance my application has been processed.  Although...when you pass, you get a document called a  Certificate of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE).  One of the blanks you can fill in on that form is an email address, which I think the FCC will use once they have made your license grant.  Every time I hear that I have new email, I keep hoping that it's the FCC, but at the moment I'm a little skeptical, because one, it's hand-printed on the form (and people screw up my surname, Philipps, all the time, too many Ls and not enough Ps, which is part of the address), and two, because I suspect they wouldn't do anything on weekends (it's Saturday as I write this).

So...I wait for things to happen, over which I have little control obviously.  But still, I'm thinking almost like The Chipmonks, with their "hurry, Christmas, hurry past."

UPDATE: 27-Dec-2019, the FCC processed my license application.  Hello, world, from KD2TFB.


English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when the speaker or writer chooses not to follow those rules.

"Jeopardy!" replies and randomcaps really suck!