19 December, 2018

Everything Old is New Again Department, Part 2 for Today

My, it certainly is true that there are no new novels, no new movies, no new TV programs.  It's the same thing retold in different ways, which I guess is what keeps us watching and listening, trying to figure out what that "new" way is.

One of my favorite movies is "Sneakers." I have listened to the soundtrack CD many, many times.  One of my favorites from that is "Cosmo… Old Friend," particularly in the one part with a strings crescendo I think in a major key, followed by a decrescendo in a minor key, followed by a piano (meaning soft) replaying of the major key, and this 3 (or 4) measure figure is repeated.  All that is with a really great bass behind it (not sure what instrument; maybe a bunch of double basses arco).  I was kind of wondering what scene in the movie was this put behind.  And I found a "Movieclips" YouTube video of at least part of the scene.  That part I'm talking about is where Marty/Robert Redford says, "...small countries?" at about 1:40.

Then Cosmo/Ben Kingsley nods smilingly and says, "I might even be able to crash the whole damn system...destroy all records of ownership.  Think of it, Marty: no more rich people, no more poor people, everybody's the same.  Isn't that what we said we always wanted?"

Upon seeing that again, I thought, gee...isn't that one of the story arcs in "Mr. Robot," fsociety taking down E Corp?  The aim of fsociety was to compromise totally all the world's financial systems, so everything is "level" again.


English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when the speaker or writer chooses not to follow those rules.

"Jeopardy!" replies and randomcaps really suck!